Friday, May 4, 2012

The Indonesian Shadow Puppets Play (Wayang Kulit)

| | 0 comments
Shadow puppet theater is called Wayang kulit in Indonesia and it is particularly popular in Java and Bali. The term derived from the word wayang literally means shadow or imagination in Javanese, also connotes "spirit". The word kulit means skin, as the material from which the puppet is made is thin perforated leather sheets made from buffalo skin. On November 7, 2003, UNESCO designated wayang kulit from Indonesia as one of the Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity.
I took these when I saw the show at Sasono Hinggil Keraton Yogyakarta and the other night at Balai Kledokan.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

thanks for visiting

About Me

My photo
Hello there! I am Aulia, amateur cook and graphic designer. Love to eat and travel, enjoying movie so much, like to cook and gardening, love photography. I am an owl lover.♥
Twitter Facebook